It is an exciting time when you decide to start a new home renovation project. Contractors are often hired to guide you through the process and ensure that the project is completed without errors. There are many fantastic contractors out there, so how do you find the one who is best fit for you and your project?
Meeting a contractor for the first time? Be sure to ask these 10 questions:
- Do you have a contracting license?
- Will you obtain the permits and set up inspections that are required for this job?
- What is the timeline for completion?
- What is your payment schedule?
- Is there a warranty for your services?
- Will you stay within my budget? What happens if you don’t?
- Do you have workman’s compensation for your employees?
- Do you have insurance in case something in my home gets broken?
- Do you have references we can contact?
- How often will you stop by to check the project’s progress?
You want positive replies on all 10 of these questions. If a contractor is hesitant to discuss past clients it could be a sign that there was a lot of conflict and disagreements within the project – whether they went over the estimated timeline or do not stick to the home owners budget.
Questions number 7 and 8 are arguably the most important ones to ask. Ensuring that your contractor has workers comp is necessary, it prevents you from being held responsible in case one of their employees is injured on your property. The contractor’s business should have insurance coverage in case your home becomes damaged during the renovation process. While no team ever walks in your home to purposely destroy it, pipes and furniture can become collateral damage.
Get to know your contractor before you sign any agreements. Meet face-to-face and discuss what their past projects have been. It may seem silly at first, but be sure to ask these 10 questions and your renovation will end up being a great experience.
If you want to leave your home looking stunning, we can help! Contact us today to learn more.