Fall is just about here and with it comes lowered temperatures, rain (hopefully!), and a decent amount of wind. As a homeowner, you want to prepare for the changes in weather as well as get your home set up for the holiday season. Here are several things to add to your fall home maintenance checklist before wintertime:
1. Reseed your lawn and clean up your yard. Make sure any dead leaves or dead plants are removed. It’s also a good time of year to mulch and plant new bushes or trees.
2. Clean out your garage to make sure you have room for any lawn furniture you want to bring indoors or a place to store summer furniture you want to change out.
3. Clean out your gutters and make sure your roof is solid.
4. Get any outdoor home maintenance, repair, or remodelingscheduled before the weather gets very wet. This includes re-siding or painting the exterior of your home.
5. Change the air filter on your furnace and check its efficiency. If you have a wood-burning fireplace, this is a good time to get it and your chimney cleaned.
6. Test your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
7. Get your ductwork cleaned out and serviced as needed.
8. Replace any burned-out lightbulbs both outside and inside.
9. Clean your windows and skylights - you’re going to want to take advantage of as much natural light as you can when the weather starts getting cloudy.
10. Get your yard equipment cleaned and sharpened.
Whether you are new to home ownership here in the the Bay area or you’ve owned your house for many years, consistent maintenance is important. What do you always check over during this time of year?